The Federal Government through the Ministry of Health has announced a second case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Nigeria.
Speaking at a press conference in Benin City, the Minister of Helth, Dr Osaie Ehanire revealed the newly diagnosed patient had a contact with Italian man when he was infected.
In his own words, “It is my duty, therefore, to announce a new case of coronavirus disease (CIVID-19) in Nigeria,” Ehanire said.
“One of the important response strategies at the containment stage has been to identify all contacts, ensure their strict isolation, and to follow up daily with checks for any symptoms of the disease.
“Following recent experience from other countries and evident from newly published studies on non-symptomatic infections, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), advised that samples should be taken from all contacts of the index case for testing.
“It is in this process that these two cases were detected.”
Also in a tweet shared today by the minister abut the second case of coronavirus, he said, “Today, March 9th, I announced 1 (one) more case of #COVID19 in #Nigeria. To date, there are 2 (two) confirmed cases. The new case is an Ogun State contact of the index case, one of 40 persons in isolation being closely monitored. He is clinically stable. #COVID19Nigeria”
— Dr. E. Osagie Ehanire MD, FWACS (@DrEOEhanire) March 9, 2020
It should be recalled the ministry had earlier debunked a widespread rumour that more cases of coronavirus had been confirmed.